Tuesday, March 8, 2011

How can foreign journalists get jobs in America?

Q: I'm a journalist from South Africa with about five years experience. I'd really love to work in the US one day but I have no idea how to get my foot in the door. Would an internship be a good way to go for someone in my situation? And would US media houses consider foreign journalists for internships or are the internships listed on CubReporters generally reserved for American journalists?
-- S.C.

A: It's not easy for foreign journalists to break into the U.S. market. But there are some possibilities.

Generally, internships at U.S. media outlets are for college/graduate school students who are either U.S. citizens or permanent residents with proper work documents. With the job market being as competitive as it is, it's unlikely that an American media organization would seek out foreign employees.

If you want to break into the U.S. market, your best bets are to:

1) Work for an international news organization, such as Reuters, and try to get stationed in a U.S. bureau

2) Attend a graduate program in the U.S. and network. Columbia University and other journalism schools offer scholarships for foreign journalists.

3) Apply for a fellowship, such as a Fulbright, which will either place you in an internship in the U.S. or fund schooling here.
–Mark Grabowski